(Vote for 3)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
Betty Smith Mueller
- Occupation: Member Rent Control Board
- Retired after 36 years of Professional Nursing in Veterans Hospitals
- Master of Arts, Educational Administration
- Lifelong Learner, Emeritus College
- Board Member, Wilshire/Montana Neighborhood Organization
- Board Member, Community Corporation of Santa Monica
- Volunteer, The Getty Center
- To fairlycarry out the purpose of the Rent Control Board, "to regulate rentals so that rents will not be increased unreasonably
- and so that landlords will receive no more than a fair return"
- To continue to advocate for tenant protections in keeping with the intent of Article XVIII
- Occupation: Development Assistant, Buena Vista International
- B.A. in Mass Communications, Quinnipiac College
- Currently on the Santa Monican's for Renter's Rights Steering Committee
- To protect renter's rights and affordable housing
- To fairly uphold the rent control law
- Occupation: Project Director, UCLA Advanced Policy Institute
- MA in Urban Planning from UCLA
- Currently serving on Rent Control Board
- Governor's appointee to the California State Independent Living Council (Vice Chair)
- Previously served on Santa Monica Social Services Commission
- Previously served on LA County Accessibility Appeals Board
- Resident of Santa Monica since 1979. Active in many local affairs, including schools, ADA access, Little League, affordable and accessible housing, e
Thomas David Carter
- Preservation of renters' rights is my first priority
- Balanced, measured and sustainable growth in housing and other local resources
- Fairness and a willingness to consider all sides of housing policies and perspectives
- Occupation: Certified Public Accountant
- Specialization in Real Estate and Insurance
- More than 30 years of financial experience
- Resident of Santa Monica since 1984
- Strong public schools supporter
- Promote and advocate for changes to make the Rent Control Board more proactive and functionally efficient in the 21st Century
- Build on my past experience in real estate and develop my expertise in Rent Control matters in order to properly serve on the board
- Consider all information presented at hearings in order to arrive at fair decisions
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
New! League of Women Voters California "Guide to Government"
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.