(Vote for 4)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Occupation: School Board Member
- Currently serve as President of the Board of Education
- BA in Political Science
- MBA from American University in Washington, D.C.
- Parent with two children attending our schools
- Past PTA President
- Past board member of the Santa Monica Malibu Education Foundation
- To close the achievement gap that persists in our district
- While simultaneously raising achievement for all students
- Pass Measure EE and begin implementation of the district's Strategic Plan
- Occupation: Administrator/Instructor/Parent
- B.A., University of Chicago
- Masters in Public Administration, Syracuse University
- Masters in Economics, Oxford University
- Senior economist working in economically least developed countries
- Project and product manager - Los Angeles Times and Citysearch
- Researcher and administrator for technology access programs in underserved communities - Children's Partnership and Urban Tech
- Raising achievement for all children while narrowing the academic achievement gap that exists between economically disadvanted and other children
- Increasing resources for the district to offset dramatic State budget cuts & attract/retain outstanding teachers: I advocate passage of Measure EE
- Ensuring that all children have the opportunity to attend a quality preschool
- Occupation: Public School Teacher
- Member, SMMUSD District Advisory Committee for Instructional Technology
- Member, SMMUSD Strategic Plan Committees: Equity and Equality of Education and Variety of Curriculum
- Third Grade Teacher, Figueroa Street Elementary School (LAUSD)
- Master's in Public Administration, California State University, Long Beach
- Bachelor of Arts, Loyola Marymount University
Oscar de la Torre
- Reduce class size so all students receive specialized attention
- Actively encourage parent participation at all stages of education
- Eliminate the "achievement gap" in Santa Monica and Malibu schools
- Occupation: Santa Monica-Malibu School Board Member
- B. A., CSU, Dominguez Hills
- M. A. , Pepperdine University
- J. D., University of West L. A. School of Law
- 17 + years as a teacher
- 25 year resident of the District
- Children attended & grandchildren attend Santa Monica schools
- Full implementation of the District's Strategic Plan which has initiatives to further reduce the achievment gap, further reduce class size, etc.
- Passage of Measure EE as a means of assuring fiscal stability
- Completion of all reconstruction projects to provide safe and appropriate schools for all children
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
New! League of Women Voters California "Guide to Government"
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.